Continued Bantering-

To: "British Cars" <British-Cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Continued Bantering-
From: "Dan Golder" <dan_golder@sdm.buffalo.edu>
Date: 2 Jun 1993 08:33:29 U
                       Continued Bantering:
Regarding the Colortune:

Orange is rich, and blue is lean (remember your bunsen burner in high
school?). You should set the idle mixture so that the orange color is just
disappearing, being replaced by blue at idle. Then, when you "blip" the
throttle, you should see a nice orange "richening" from the delay of the rise
of the SU piston (you do have an SU right?). If you've got the right carb, jet
and needles, all you have to do then is reset the carb balance (I assume since
you bought the Colortune, you have a Unisyn as well), and you're set.

For those who are unaware of the Colortune, I can heartily recommend it. I've
had one for about ten (?) years. And contrary to popular belief, once you get
an SU balanced and tuned, they really don't need a lot of twiddling, and a
Colortune/Unisyn is the perfect instrument combination. I think one of the
factors which perpetuated that myth was the old method of listening to the
"hiss" of the carbs through a hose (yeah right) and using the lift pin to
check for a slight rise in rpm. With highly accurate tuning measures like
this, it's amazing any British car was ever in tune.

Having said that, does anyone have any experience with the exhaust gas
analyzer that was available from Moss I believe? I think it was about $300.
I'm considering getting one, and was wondering...

For those of you interested in the development of Sprites and Midgets, I would
recommend Geoff Healey's book "More Healeys: Frogeyes, Sprites and Midgets".
This contains a wealth of information on development, etc. and I believe is
where I recall reading the Sprite suspension was changed to please the
American market.

As for silicone brake fluid, I would recommend it to anyone, not just show
cars. You don't have to worry if you spill a little fluid on your paint. The
only problem is that if you have any imperfections in the bores, it is easier
for silicone to leak past them than conventional fluid. As far as the bubble
problem, I really haven't had any difficulty, but if anyone does, I would
recommend a power bleeder, pushing the fluid in from the "wrong" end.

Been rambling too much.