To: Sons of Lucas <British-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: responses
From: <RGS03%ALBNYDH2.bitnet@UACSC2.ALBANY.EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 93 15:08:00 EDT
To: James L. McNamara
Are Spitfire springs likely to sag after 20 years?
Are you kidding? They're likely to sag after 20 minutes!
Try replacing the spring with a new one from TRF, but have
it checked at a reputable, I repeat reputable suspension shop
first. Do NOT go to the mechanics who advised you about the
rear axle. Report those guys to the Attorney General. And replace
 that rear axle now. Yesterday would be better. There is nothing
in a Spit rear axle assembly that should move in the way you
describe. If you drive the car that way, you could end up
chasing your own wheel and axle down the road - backwards.
(We have three Spits, a '77 1500, a '64 G Prod racecar and a
'70 MkIII, thus lots of experience.) I think others on the net
will agree.

To: Boris
Congratulations on considering a Spitfire. They're wonderful
little cars. To answer some of your questions in one sentence:
Anything can be improved or modified to give the desired results.
How much money do you want to throw at the problem?

First, the sound. That's a function of the exhaust system and the
carbs. What's on the car you're looking at? A good fre flow
exhaust will do wonders for the sound.

Second, the power. In addition to improving the sound, good
carbs will boost power most directly. They're bolt ons. To get the
most from the new carbs you should tweek the engine as well. We have
 a Spit that has been ported, and polished, fitted with a 3/4 cam
headers, free flow exhaust, twin SU's, lightened and balanced rods
lightened flywheel, larger valves and more. No complaints here about
power. That of course was a racing rebuild, for the street, you
can do a more conservative version and dramatically increase your bhp.
Again how much money do you want to spend?

The rear suspension is no problem. Limiting straps or camber
compensators are available or easily fabricated that tame the
dreaded tuck and roll that people fear so much. 1500's have this feature
standard.

Lastly, $2,500 should buy you a very nice daily driver, just be careful of rust
Nationwide Insurance offers a stated value policy for cars 10 years
 and older. I don't know if they will write it for you at age
(yours) 19. Incidentally, check your state laws before modifying your
car. You mentioned Calif. All of the above mods could be illegal there,
or at least negated by emmission requirements.

Good luck.
Rik