Cooling system on 1500 midget

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Cooling system on 1500 midget
From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 93 13:52:30 EDT
|Date: 6-1-93  1:48pm
|From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
|  To: {british-cars@autox.team.net}:BITNET
|Subj: Cooling system on 1500 midget
   I tried a very interesting experiment this past weekend.  While
fixing my oil leak, I decided to install an electric fan to help when I
get caught in traffic all around town (traffic in the D.C. area, hah?).
Well, I decided to first try it without the belt driven water pump fan.
The car revved beautifully, felt like it actually had some power.  But,
it was running 15-20 degrees hotter (around the 190-200 degree range
even with the electric fan running constantly). 190 I could deal with,
but 200 is not very pleasant and makes me worry.  So, I drained the
radiator and put the waterpump fan back on.
    The water pump mounted fan has a clutch on it, so I thought the
clutch would kick in pretty quickly.  Apparantly I was wrong.  Now, it's
back to revving like a slug, but stays real cool.  I set the adjustable
thermostat for the fan at 180 and when it kicks in the temperature
barely rises any more.  It's a 10 inch electric fan and fits perfectly
in the radiator shroud in front of the radiator.
    I guess I was mistaken that the water pump mounted fan wasn't doing
anything at decent engine speeds.  Why bother having the clutch at all
then?
    One thing I was thinking is that I had too much antifreeze/coolant
in the mixture.  The second time I refilled the system I used a mixture
with a lot less prestone.  I guess I need to invest in one of the
coolant testers.
    Any ideas or comments would be appreciated, since I would love to be
able to dump the water pump fan.  It just revved too nicely without it.

    Dean