I love u-joints!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: I love u-joints!
From: paulg@cme.nist.gov (Paul Gilders)
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 93 09:38:56 EDT
Well during the end of last week, my TR6 started to developed a squeel
which occasionally turned into a scrapping, clonking sound. My initial
impression was that it was coming from the left rear axle, but I
couldn't completely pinpoint it. Anyway, I took Scotty out in it for a
second opinion, and we semi-agreed that the most likely candidate was
the left rear wheel bearing. I checked the slop on this bearing, which
although didn't seem horrendous, it could get it to clonk, so I
supposed that it had become completely dry of grease and was
complaining. I called my local british car expert, and described the
symptoms to him, and he confirmed our suspicions and informed me of
the $200 bill for a reconditioned rear wheel bearing. This would
really make a dent in my budget which has only just recovered after
the Carlisle visit (and other troubles with transatlantic banking).

Anyway, I decided to look at the alternative of finding a suitably
good condition rear axle, and sure enough I was helped out by a local
TR fanatic who has rescued Scotty and myself before. The following day
he informed me that he had a good condition rear wheel bearing sitting
in his van. I went to have a look and it seemed a better deal. I had
checked the rest of the rear drivechain before seeing the wheel
bearing, finding nothing but s slight amount of slop on the
diff-driveshaft u-joint, but was convinced this couldn't be making the
squeaking, and scrapping sound.

Anyway, Saturday afternoon it only took about 45 minutes to change the
left rear axle and grease everything up again. I felt the new wheel
bearing and it was a considerable improvement over my previous example
- couldn't feel any slop at all. I smiled and decided it was time for
a joyous cruise in the sun. I put the top down (well there were some
darkish clouds earlier in the day) and set off up the road, only to
hear the same scraping and screaming I had tried to exterminate.

I jacked the car up yet again (I was getting very proficient at it)
and checked all around again. The only possibility could be the
u-joint - sigh!

I went indoors and sank in the sofa. I then received a call - "Hi,
Paul, it's Arlie - I've made it". Yep, for all of you who were
tracking Arlie Hart's progress from Witchata (sp?) to DC (in his Fiat
Spider), well he made it! I will let him give you the journey details
when he's back on the net.  Anyway, needing some mental support, I
made him drive another 10 miles up to Gaithersburg and we had a few
bevies to drown sorrow (mine) and ecstatic happiness (his).

Sunday, I'd been invited to a party, so I couldn't really spend any
time on the car. I invited Arlie along, so we sped up to DC in the TR6
confident that we would be able to ignore the sounds of my rear axle.
The problem didn't get any better, but the increase in total car
vibration made certain that the problem lay in that bloody u-joint. On
Monday afternoon, even with the threat of storms approaching, I
decided that I would be needing my daily driver later in the week and
that I simply must change the u-joint. So, off with the exhaust and a
little overhead wrenching and pulling and I had removed the
driveshaft. Having only replaced the u-joints on my MGB about 4 months
ago, I immediately set to knocking them out with brute force. They
were a great deal easier than the MGB ones and in about 1.5 hours I
was finished. The old joint was completely trashed - no rollers
present and severe wear on the inside and the edge of the roller
casings - quite frightening - they really didn't have a good day
yesterday! (Oh and thanks to Scotty for providing me with his new
u's).

Anyway, rain prevented me from complete re-assembly, but it'll be
finished tonight, so I can't complain. I'm really getting through this
car now - I think I've crossed off 50 percent of all replaceable, worn
parts now!

I still have one problem that I would appreciate a little SOL wisdom
about - my brake master cylinder - yep, that thing I rebuilt about a
month ago. Well, it's leaking - no not through the cylinder itself,
but between the plastic reservoir and the cast cylinder. I replaced
the little circular gaskets/seals, but it appears that this is not
sufficient. When I originally took it off, it had additional
cardboard-like gaskets - obviously to solve this exact problem. Is it
sensible to put normal gasket material in this situation, or will the
brake fluid eat such material for lunch? Anybody else have this
problem - maybe I should really get a new plastic reservoir?

Ok, that's long enough - oh appart from one question to any other east
coasters. Apparently there is a VTR national event at Grantville PA
later this month - I've looked on the map and can't find this place.
Anybody have a clue - or is this really Grantsville MD (on the boarder
with PA)?

Cheers,

        Paul.