Re: Misc Questions (from G. Fieldson)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Misc Questions (from G. Fieldson)
From: Mike Jeffreys <mjj@muppet.bt.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 May 93 09:57:08 BST
> 1. How might heat damage a starter solenoid, (TR7 and TR6 type) and
>    has any actually tried fixing one?

Perhaps the solenoid plunger may stick due to expansion?  I have
renovated lots of starter solenoids (well 4 or 5) and the main problem
is removing the resin covering the screws holding the black cap on.
Once the screws are removed and the electrical connections desoldered,
the cap can be removed. I usually find a good clean up of the
electrical connections etc. does a world of good. If things are bad,
Lucas still sells the cap and connections for about 10 pounds and the
solenoid for 25 pounds.

> 2. Does Rimmer (in England) have a TR7 catalog (or general parts catalog
>    worth ordering?

Rimmers sell standard TR7 and TR8 parts lists.

They also have their own catalogue (a subset of the TR7 parts list)
and various TR7/8 price/parts lists. These are free.

|    Mike Jeffreys,  Network Management Department (sometime)    |
| BT Labs, Martlesham Heath , Ipswich, Suffolk IP5 7RE, England  |
| e-mail : mjj@muppet.bt.co.uk    |    phone  : +44 473 645609   |