TR7 rubber thingies at the top of the door window channels

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, joeg@sr.hp.com
Subject: TR7 rubber thingies at the top of the door window channels
From: GORIN_JOE/HP5300_A0@opnmail1.corp.hp.com
Date: Thu, 27 May 93 20:12:00 +0000
Jody Levine, in "TR7 Adventures," asked:

>...How are the rubber thingies at the top of the door window
>channels supposed to be held on? The left one gets caught every time I raise
>the window and almost fell off.

I haven't solved this problem yet, and hope you can share your solution
when you come up with it.  Here is what I do know.

I never had the problem during the first nine years I owned the car.  I
still don't have it with the left door.  The problem just started with
the right door after an operation in which I changed the adjustment to
the window glass positioning by changing the position of the rear
channel through which the glass slides.  Therefore, I suspect that the
problem is more "why does the rubber thingie get knocked out" than
"how do you hold it in."

But I did try to hold it in better with non-corrosive RTV.  I was not
at all successful.

The rubber thingie has a feature that looks like it is intended to hold
a rivet, but there is no place in the door for said rivet.  It looks to
me like another poor design.

--Joe Gorin    '80 TR7 Convertible owner
joeg@sr.hp.com