Re: MGB:Anti-sway bar

To: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Subject: Re: MGB:Anti-sway bar
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 27 May 93 13:12:13 CDT
Robert Jones writes--
---------------
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>

|> Bob, if you really want to improve handling dump the rear antisway bar.
|> Put a larger one on the front (5/8 inch) and do not put one in the
|> rear.  According to the latest Moss catalogue, testing has shown that
|> rear antisway bars hurt handling on chrome bumpered MGBs.

Really?  Hmmm.  I intend to use this car for autoxing as well as on
the street.   Does that make a difference in what direction I should
take the suspension mods like this?  Does anyone out there run an MGB
in DSP and if so, would you be willing to share your setup secrets?
---------------

My gut reaction here is to say that Moss is full of baloney.  At least from am
autocrossing standpoint.  My buddy Brian Erickson has been running his 1970 MGB
in Street Prepared for some time.  He has been using uprated front and rear
sway bars, stock springs, stock wheels.  He has been very successful.  The
Fitzpatrick family has entered the fray and upped the ante with wider wheels,
but Brian still stays with them most of the time.  I believe the Fitzpatrick
MGB also uses uprated front and rear sway bars.

Perhaps Moss thinks that adding a rear bar without increasing the front bar
will give too much oversteer and also cause wheelspin problems.  Maybe.

Putting a larger bar in the front and keeping one off the rear (as Moss
suggests) will be legal in Stock.  The only reason I an conceive for doing such
a thing is to limit body roll and still stay in Stock category.  I think it
will cause the car to plow like a farmer.  It will certainly prevent wheelspin.
My opinion is based on experience with a Midget that did have a King Kong
front bar and no rear bar, observation of MGB setups, and basic understanding
of the physics involved.

I suggest you either put in the larger front and rear bar from ADDCO (through
JC Whitless for the best price) or find the front-rear kit from Ron Hopkinson
(?) in England (where are these available, MGB pilots?).

My explanation of a sway bar works is very simple:  It tries to lift the inside
wheel.  If you have not seen my complete explanation, but want to (masochist),
I can Email it to you.  It has probably been posted often enough.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
"Jesus Christ!  Now what I have done!"  -Hans Stuck