Getting engaged with an MGB starter

To: uunet!autox.team.net!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Getting engaged with an MGB starter
From: uswnvg!mpalme1@uunet.UU.NET (Mark Palmer)
Date: Thu, 27 May 93 10:13:40 PDT
Tim writes:
>I have my original starter on my '79 MGB which has 115k miles on it.  I
>am amazed that the starter has lasted this long.  The problem is that
>sometimes when I turn the Key, The starter will not engage.  What I
>assume is happening is that the solenoid is not engaing the gear to the
>flywhell to crank the engine.  I was so bold as to turn the key with the
>car still in gear and nothing happened.  I can hear the starter turning
>but the engine doesn't crank. Has anyone else had this problem?
>Would I be better off just replacing the whole starter?  Who has
>the cheapest starter and how do I get in touch with them?

As another North Westerner I can appreciate the rain subsiding.  I had the
same problem last year, and of course it occured on a long distance trip to
Oregon.  Quite embarrassing having to push start my car all the time.  But,
I fixed the problem.  The solenaid just got gummed up.  Take the starter out
and remove the solenoid.  You will need to unsolder the two (or more - I
forget)wires that poke through the plastic housing for the solenoid.  Once you
get it
exposed clean it off with solvent, both the cylinder and the solenoid.  Put it
back together and try it out.  Mine on my '77 MGB has been working fine for
a whole year so its worth a try.  If it doesn't work you might try out
British Auto Center, LTD 2938 SW Avalon Way (206) 935-0872.  They have always
been pretty good about having used parts, or new parts.  Good Luck

Mark