MGB Starter

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Starter
From: pgarside@acorn.co.uk (Paul Garside)
Date: Thu, 27 May 93 12:34:52 BST

   Date: Wed, 26 May 93 11:05:39 PDT
   >From: T Cox <tcox@dom1.nuwes.sea06.navy.mil>
   Subject: starter

   when I turn the Key, The starter will not engage.  What I assume is happening
   is that the solenoid is not engaing the gear to the flywhell to crank the
   engine.  I was so bold as to turn the key with the car still in gear and
   nothing happened.  I can hear the starter turning but the engine doesn't
crank.
   Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi, I'm new here, but I'll throw in my tuppence worth anyhow!
I have had this problem on my MGB - it is probably the Bendix not working. I
found
it easy to fix. Just remove the starter and check that the pinion can move
easily
down its spiral - it has probably seized. I don't think you are supposed to
lubricate
it, in case the lubricant turns to goo and makes it stick. But I oiled mine,
and it
didn't seem to matter. Powdered graphite might be best.

Paul.