What should vacuum read on a '77 MGB engine?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: What should vacuum read on a '77 MGB engine?
From: Ron Peterson <ron@vicorp.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 93 13:03:33 EDT
After 5 years of tinkering with various parts of my '77 MGB it still isn't
running smoothly (these cars should come with warnings "Caution: purchase
of this auto is likely to result in the acquisition of auto mechanics skills").
The things I've tried have ranged from trying another ZS carb to new
ignition components to regrinding the valve seats (and a host of other
things besides.)  There have been incremental improvements but it has
never run quite right; the idle wanders and the engine misses.  I know
the carb is a large part of the problem and I'll replace it as soon as
I can afford it.  The distributor is one of the few remaining suspects
also.  However one thing that I've always wondered and have never been
able to find a spec for is what the vacuum level should be at the manifold.
It tends to read 15-17 (inches of mercury as I remember) at idle which I
have a feeling is too low.  Can anyone tell me what the vacuum reading
should be at idle on a stock '77 MGB engine?
       Ron
ron@vicorp.com or uunet!vicorp!ron