Importing a landrover

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Importing a landrover
From: todd@bloom-co.hacktic.nl (Todd Simpson)
Date: Wed, 19 May 17:11:00 93 GMT
Greetings,
  I am an American currently living in The Netherlands, where I own a
1979 ex-English military Landrover 109. My problem is that within the
coming year I may be returning to the US and would like very much to
bring my truck home with me. My question is if anyone has had any
experience with importing such a vehicle. I've read the appropriate
Customs, EPA, and DOT pamphlets regarding doing it and about the only
possibilities I've found is to bring it in in pieces and reassemble it
there (risking not being able to get it lisenced) or importing it for
off-road use only (where I definatly will not get it licensed).
  Does anyone have any suggestions or know of anything I may ahve
overlooked? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

  Thanks in advance,
  Todd