More Tank Tinkering

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com
Subject: More Tank Tinkering
From: interf!atlas!jhoward@uunet.UU.NET (James Howard)
Date: Tue, 18 May 93 10:34:06 EDT
   Date: Mon, 17 May 93 16:38:06 pdt
   From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>

   Well, the fitting size at the tank outlet is still a mystery.  After
   carefully measuring the distance between threads, I concluded that the
   pitch was 14 per inch.  In spite of not being able to screw a 1-14 nut
   onto the male fitting I'd removed from the tank, I decided to try 1-14
   bolt in the female half.  It screwed in easily but was too loose to be
   the correct diameter.  Well, at least I know the thread pitch.  Was
   there a Whitworth size just slightly over 1"?  Maybe 33/32 or
   thereabouts?  One of my Whitworth wrenches was the only one that would
   work on the fitting.

According to the Machinery's Handbook, 1" Whitworth fasteners come in
only two pitches, 8 and 10 tpi.  However, in the 'British Standard Pipe
Threads for Non-pressure-tight Joints' section, I found the following
listing:

Nominal size    7/8"
TPI             14
Depth of Thread 0.0457"
Major Diameter  1.1890"
Pitch Diameter  1.1433"
Minor Diameter  1.0976"

This sounds like what you have.  God knows where you will find such a
beast, though.

James