Vacuum retard on a tr6?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Vacuum retard on a tr6?
From: mjb@triumph (Mark J Bradakis)
Date: Mon, 17 May 93 15:31:34 -0600
I think this was meant to go to the list, not just me.

mjb.
----

    Date: Mon, 17 May 93 12:27:05 -0700 (PDT)
    From: root@osprey.ca.boeing.com (Neil.Williams.(206)957-5329)

 Maybe someone out there can help me on this one. I Have
a 71 TR6 w/ od. When I went for California vehicle inspection
for smog check I was told by the state of California this car came
stock with a timing vacuum retard, which mine didn't have on it so
I was required to aquire and install the module.
The vacuum retard is just like the vacuuum advance except it retards
the timing on deceleration(?). It bolts onto the distributor right
across from the vacuum advance. I didn't take it off so it must have...

     1) Been removed by a previous owner.
     2) Fallen off on it's own
     3) Never had one.

I couldn't believe this guy who worked for the state  and looked at
all cars knew more about my TR than I did (but it had never occured
to me that such an animal could enven be bolted to my distributor). I set
out to prove him wrong so I didn't have to buy the module. I'm having
a hard time doing this. I've got 3 or four triumph manuals and also
a copy of the page in the original triumph dealer shop manual. I
can determine that some tr6's came with the device, and some did not,
but I can't tell if mine did. All the manuals seem inconclusive and
conflict with each other. What's the specification on this part? Thanks
in advance.

Neil Williams
Puyallup, WA.