Re: My postings about steering wheel restorations

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My postings about steering wheel restorations
From: "Andrew C. Green" <dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uu.psi.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1993 10:07:37 CDT
Based on some E-mail requests I've received, it looks like I'd better
post a clarification:

The outfit which I read about in a recent Cars & Parts issue _recreates_
_plastic_ steering wheels, as follows:

If they don't have a mold for your particular wheel design, they make one
from your old wheel. They temporarily patch your wheel as required in order
to pull a good molding of its exterior shape. (This is done with a reusable
flexible rubber material, so they can save this mold for reuse.)

Next, they remove the old plastic of your steering wheel to get down to its
wire core, and install the core in the mold. They then pour in the fresh
plastic material, and what you have is a newly-molded wheel in the shape of
your old one and using your original core. (This means, among other things,
that you can change the color of your wheel if desired.)

Point of Confusion Number 1: To the best of my knowledge, they do not
restore all-wood steering wheels. (They might re-do plastic wheels with
partial wood inserts; I don't know. They'd have to tell you directly...)
I seem to recall photos of restored wheels with contrasting segments in
the rim and other styling touches, but I think they were still all plastic.

P. of C. #2: This is a complete remold job, not a touchup or attempted
repair like the sleazebag outfit's botch that started this thread.

I'll attempt to dig out the article this weekend and post the info as soon
as I find it. We're doing a bit of remodeling so the stuff is in boxes at
the moment.  :-(  If you're near a big library or feel like making calls
to track down the info _now_ (a couple of you are chomping at the bit),
it was in Cars & Parts magazine, and the issue was part of a series within
the past year on restoring a '57 Chevy convertible. I'll post the name and
address of this company as soon as I find it...

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473