TR6 Transmission update, yellow windows

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: TR6 Transmission update, yellow windows
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Fri, 7 May 93 10:04:42 EDT
Hi ho!

Lee Daniels wrote:

 > Great!  The only adventures we've heard about lately involved another
 > Scott, along with Paul, and then mostly about running out of gas.

I'd be willing to let someone else have the "adventures" for a while.  :-)

I did some checking around and found a J type overdrive trans (from a
'75 TR6) for $600.  It includes all the relays and switches, and is
guaranteed to work.  (yay!)  Unfortunately it's about 350 miles from
my house (boo!), however, the guy is coming up to Carlisle for the
Import car show.  (yay!)  That means I shall miss a week of good
driving weather (boo!), but waiting for the O-drive should be worth
it.  (yay!) It also means, that I won't be able to afford any cool
parts that I find at Carlisle.  (boo!)  Oh well.  I suppose an
overdrive trans is a cool part.  (yay!)  :->

I'm planning on taking a real good look at my old trans tonight to see
exactly what the problem is.  If it looks salvageable, I might see if
I can sell it to a local brit place for $50 or something.  Oh who
knows, maybe I'll keep it as a spare. Nah...

Yellow windows: My office mate had a Compact Disc that had a megga
scratch it in.  He removed it with liquid freon, which is used to
clean computer tape heads (not used AC units!).  It was amazing! The
scratch totally disappeared with a little elbow grease.  Anyway, I'm
wondering how this would work on taking the scratches out of plastic
windows.  It might even clear some yellowing...  I would try it, but
my top is fairly new, and doesn't need any attention yet.  Anyone care
to give this a try?  I believe that it softened the plastic on the CD
slightly which smoothed out the scratch.

Cheers,

-Scotty
----
"Laugh at your problems; everybody else does."  - My Unix fortune today