Re: Bogus Bolts

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bogus Bolts
From: golder@ppd.Kodak.COM (Patrick Golder (60219))
Date: Thu, 6 May 93 08:45:46 EDT
> > bolt and a grade 8 with 6 lines, but neither have a manufacturer marking.
>
> (Doesn't a Grade 8 have _5_ lines?)

Actually, no.  Grade 8 hardware has 6 lines.  They are also commonly
plated with yellow cadmium, making them easy to spot (though this
isn't a requirement).  Unmarked bolts indicate common hardware-grade
(Grade 3 or less, I believe).  From what I've read, Grade 5 is
considered the minimum strength for automotive use, though other grades
are used depending on the application.  The key seems to be to use a
fastener that's at least as strong as the one the manufacturer originally
used.

Regards,
Patrick