Re: Re: Bogus Bolts

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: Bogus Bolts
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 93 11:58:39 pdt
> Date: Wed, 05 May 1993 11:47:20 CDT
> From: "Andrew C. Green" <dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uu.psi.com>
> To: british-cars@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Bogus Bolts
>
> > bolt and a grade 8 with 6 lines, but neither have a manufacturer marking.

> (Doesn't a Grade 8 have _5_ lines?)

Andy,

I believe you are correct.  That's what I get for posting this
information without reading it more carefully.

> True Value Hardware and used them without incident. Recently, however, I
> was poking around the local Handy Andy chain outlet, which crows about the
> quality of all their stuff, and was _very_ surprised to find that the bolts
> they sell in bulk had no visible grade marks (or manufacturer marks, come
> to think of it) at all! Now, according to my notes from last year, this
> implies a Grade 3 bolt, which I don't think I've ever seen in captivity
> before, and it also seems to indicate that the manufacturer wishes to remain
> anonymous.

The hardware stores around here have lots of these "mystery" bolts.
Most carriage bolts I've seen seem to be unmarked.

> We do _not_ want to use Grade 3 bolts on our cars, do we? How inferior are

I don't think so.  Good for bolting fences and such together but I
don't think I'd want any holding my car together.

Roland