Re: TR6 door locks

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: TR6 door locks
From: jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Randell Jesup)
Date: Wed, 5 May 93 16:40:50 EDT
>        To unlock the door from the inside, pull the handle back as if to
>open the door. (amazing the things you discover reading the manual) If that
>doesn't work, you've got an interal problem.

        Doesn't work, must be something jammed in the mechanism.  Off come
the panels.

>        Open the hood. Grab the column at the rubber joint. tuern back and
>forth.
>Watch rack. If rack mooves, you need to spread the mounts further apart. I made
>a tool to do this with a piece of threaded rod, a piece of conduit, and a
>nut that fits on the rod.

        It doesn't move visibly, but the symptoms really feel like a moving
rack.  It has severe shudder at speed (60+) at center or mild turns.  Stronger
turns make it stop and it stays stopped for a while or until I make even a
mild correction in the other direction.  Or maybe this is just toe-out or bad
camber?  The right front camber is way off (~0, left front I'd guess is 1-2
degrees negative), and I wouldn't be suprised at toe-out.  The rack bushings
are poly, new clamps, new tie-rods, no obvious wear in the inner joints,
though the gaiters were dead when I bought the car (replaced since then).

        Also, in the man bites dog category:  I had to drive the TR6 to work
today in the _rain_, because the Honda is broken (something loose in the rear
hub, '85 CRX).

        Randell Jesup