some 1500 midget questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: some 1500 midget questions
From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Date: Mon, 03 May 93 10:34:16 EDT
|Date: 5-2-93  10:27am
|From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
|  To: {british-cars@autox.team.net}:BITNET
|Subj: some 1500 midget questions
   I took my midget on long camping trip this weekend just to see how it
would do.  I've had it on the road for a few months now, but no extended
trips through the middle of nowhere.  This is about a 160 mile trip each
way, so I was a little worried, but I was traveling with two other list
members so I felt a lot better.  Everything was fine until about 50
miles into the trip.  About every 10 miles the car would sort of lose
power.  I was trying to figure out if it was electrical (I had just
installed a new coil) or fuel related.  The teperature gauge was steady
at 190 and the oil pressure was steady at 50 psi.  I talked to Scott
Paisley and Paul Gilders about it at a rest stop.  After talking with
them, I decided it was getting too hot.  I had the timing set at 10 BTDC
and it didn't ping at all.  So, I decided to back off the timing a few
degrees and see what happened.  Well, I didn't have any problems the
rest of the way there or any of the way back.
    Now, the big question I have is: what temperature should I be
seeing?  190 seems a bit high.  180 or 185 would make me happier.  I
have an oil cooler, but I still haven't gotten the right hoses for it.
Is there any way to increase the airflow to the radiator ?  I was
looking at the front of the car yesterday, and there really isn't a huge
grill area for air to get in.  A more efficient radiator maybe.  How
much should I expect the oil cooler to help?

     Dean