Decoking revisited

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Decoking revisited
From: Cory Carpenter <coryc@sequent.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 93 11:15:09 -0700
A year or two ago there was an extended discussion on methods of "decoking"
engines, with an emphasis on ways to get around disassembling and scraping.
One of the suggested methods involved spraying water into the carburettor.
Here's a variation on that method that appeared in the newspaper:

    Q: In a recent column you talked about carbon buildup.  My
    well-cared-for 1983 Dodge Aries, now with nearly 100,000 miles, has a
    good deal of run-over when I shut off the engine, especially if the
    engine is hot.  What are the mechanics of adding the 50/50 water/brake
    fluid mixture through the carburetor?  D.B., Brockport N.Y.

    A: I mix them in a 16-ounce Coke bottle and then drip the mixture
    through the air horn of the hot engine running at about 2,000 rpm for 30
    seconds.  I dump the last half ounce in quickly and shut down the
    engine.  I let it sit for about an hour to let the residual fluid soak
    down the carbon.  Then I warn the neighbors that the house isn't on fire
    and start it up.  Sometimes I have to dry the spark plugs if they've
    become too wet.

(From "Auto Answers" by Bob Hagin, Pacheco Automotive News Service, as
printed in The Oregonian, Saturday, May 1, 1993.)

Given that this column has an unhealthy predilection for discussing 'Murican
cars, one assumes that he's talking about DOT 3 brake fluid.

-coryc

|     >> Disclaimer: I speak for Sequent only in our hardware manuals <<     |
| Cory R. Carpenter, Senior Tech Writer  | The dictionary:  The story sucks, |
| Sequent Computer Systems, Incorporated | but at least they explain the     |
|  coryc@sequent.com                     | words as you go along.            |