Re: GT6 brakes

To: uunet!Kodak.COM!min@larch.pa.dec.com
Subject: Re: GT6 brakes
From: martine@polaris.pa.dec.com
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 92 11:18:47 PST

> I am looking for a bit of clarification.  The gt6.ascii info states
> that all GT6 had 9.7in dia. front discs.  I have heard from other
> sources that GT6+ (GT6 Mk. II ?) disks may have been larger.  Is this
> true?

According to my shop manual, the rotors are still 9.7 inches (I've
got a '69 +, maybe they changed toward the later cars?).

> Also, I am trying to determine the sizes of master cylinders and
> wheel cylinders offered on spitfires and GT6 (and any other models
> that shared brake components).

If you find out, I'd like to know.  It'd make flushing the brake
lines a little less wasteful.

> And lastly, any recommendations of where to look for new or used
> calipers, master cylinders.  I welcome any comments on the
> intelligence of using used hydraulics as well.

Victoria British (1-800-255-0088), Special Interest Car Parts
(401)831-8850), (Roadster Factory I guess too, but I've never dealt
with them 'cause they don't offer a catalogue) will all offer new
calipers (VB -> $229.50 - $40 core for remanufactored set), and
so forth.

I've got a question of my own... (See, I'm reducing bandwidth by
sending one message!)

My GT6+, has the bumper lowered to meet the US safety stuff back
in the late 60's.  Personally, I think it looks much better without
the bumper, but with the bumper guards.  The problem is that I've
only got one of the bumper guards.

Does anybody out there have a spare bumper guard for sale?  I also
noticed that VB is now offering more bumper parts for spits; will
a MK3 Spit bumper guard work?

Also, all you GT6 owners: How hard is your brake pedal?  I had a VERY hard
pedal, so I turned the front rotors and replaced all the pads/shoes.

It's a lot better now (I can lock 'em up now at least) but does seem
hard still.  Is this normal?  I've never driven a car without
power-assisted brakes before this one, so I'm figuring I've just got
to get used to it, but I'd be interested in any comments.

  Later,
     Martine