Triumph trunnions

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Triumph trunnions
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 92 12:32:08 CST
I am sure glad this list exists.  If I had not read about the trunnions
on Spitfires on this list, I would have been *very* surprised when I started
taking apart the front suspension on the Europa.  This business of
*screw threads* in the steering is very weird.  The trunnions on a Midget
at least work on an honest-to-goodness kingpin.

This system seems rather odd.  If they were going to have a ball joint at the
top, why not use one on the bottom?  Maybe it is because the bottom end of the
spindle supports the car and the top one is just along for the ride.

OK, so the full weight of the car rests on these screw threads.  I was
surprised to clean up the trunnion and find that it is made of solid brass.
I would have thought you would want a load-bearing part of the suspension
to be made of steel.

So, are all Triumph trunnions made of brass?

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
"Life is for learning." - Joni Mitchell