Oil for MGB Steering Rack

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil for MGB Steering Rack
From: "Scott R. Turner" <srt@sun-marino.aero.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 92 09:30:41 -0800
On my '79 MGB, steering rack oil is added through a small plate where
the steering column meets the front axle.  It's on the driver side
front of the engine compartment.  As I recall, it is underneath the
front mud guard (a pressed cardboard piece between the radiator and
the engine below the crankshaft pulley).  You have to remove the mud
guard (a matter of 4 screws) and then you should have access.  The
plate has two screws - be careful when removing this because there's
an internal spring and some other parts.  You may also have to crank
the steering wheel from side to side to create an access route for the
oil to either side of the steering rack.  (I did all this with the
engine out, so your mileage may vary.)

I don't think squirting oil in the boot will help much.  It seems to
me like the oil won't get to where it is really needed.

                                                -- Scott T.