[no subject]

To: sol-digest-request@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
From: (Hiran Wijetilaka) <hiran@ee.uts.edu.au>@schutz.ee.uts.edu.au
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 92 10:28:36 CST
In Message Mon, 26 Oct 92 01:15:02 -0700,
  sol-digest-request@hoosier.cs.utah.edu writes:

>Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1992 18:11:53 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Randall Plant <rlplant@u.washington.edu>
>Subject: starter problem
>
>       I recently installed a new (rebuilt) starter on my 67 MGBGT.  When
>I turn the ignition I hear a whining sound, as if the starter is spinning
>but not engaging its gears with the engine flywheel.
have you looked to see if it IS SPINNING ??

what kind of starter do yo have ?? pre-engaged ??

if the ring gear iw worn, you will have to replace this - which usually means
taking out the engine !@#~!!
Before you do any such thing - remove the starter and feel around the ring
gear with your hand to see if it is worn.

>       Is this what is going on?  If so, what can I do to fix it?  I had
>similar problems off and on before, and evenetually the starter just died.
this usually happens cos' when you turn the starter, the starter pinion slides
along the armature and engages, and if it is worn then you may not be able
to turn the motor, also with regard to the starter all it sometimes needs is
a lil' clean up.

>The new starter went on without difficulty, but did I do something wrong?
>
>       Randy Plant   rlplant@u.washington.edu

this is off the top of my head. if you require more info let me know...

hiran

hiran@ee.uts.edu.au

Hiran Wijetilaka                          email: hiran@ee.uts.edu.au

        'you can get anywhere in 10min if you drive fast enough'