Re: TR6 rear wheel bearing adjustment

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 rear wheel bearing adjustment
From: exumfs@exu.ericsson.se (Mark Steph)
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 92 08:48:15 CDT
rgb@hal.com (Roger Bolick) writes:

> I decided to replace mine when it reached 2" of slop.
> Low price is $100 for removing/replacing the bearing.
> There is some risk with doing this and you certainly
> need to have someone who's done it before.  Seems you
> need a special puller and a 2 ton press to reassemble.
> I paid TRF about $175 for a rebuilt one with a new U-joint.
> Replace the other U while in there, or go ahead and replace
> all 6, diff mounting donuts and pinion seal (and 2 spline

I posted a story (kind of tongue-in-cheek, but nevertheless true) about
my dealing with TR6 rear bearing replacement a few weeks ago.  Let me
assure you that a 2 ton press will not separate the hub from the shaft.
I broke a Craftsman 8-ton gear puller on mine (and the pieces go *flying*
when they break).  I then took it to several different places where
the tonnage applied started at 20tons and eventually reached 30tons, while
heating it red hot.  It came off, but was damaged.  You are much better
off buying TRF's rebuilt unit or getting a good used unit at a
junkyard.

-mark