Ole Snake is still a bit sick

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Ole Snake is still a bit sick
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 92 09:50:35 pdt
Well, apparently a carb rebuild wasn't the cure for my ailing snake
after all.  About all that was accomplished was to move the crappy
running band into a more annoying part of the rpm spectrum.  The engine
idles fine and accelerates smoothly.  But driving at relatively steady
speeds in traffic is a monumental pain.  The problem seems to get
progressively worse as the engine heats up.  Makes me wonder if my
original theory about vapor lock might not have some validity.  Anyway,
I decided to drive the car this morning for the SOL lunch get-together
today at Togo's in Cupertino.  I live very close to work but I had to
drop my daughter off at school first so by the time I was on my way to
HP the car was up to operating temperature.  The Lawrence Express Way leg
of my commute consisted of a series of accelerations to a bit above the
speed of traffic flow followed by free-wheeling a while in neutral until
the speed dropped low enough for another acceleration spurt.  Not a
pleasant way to commute, even in a snake.

Well, there are a couple of things I left undone when I did the rebuild.
I meticulously set the float level dry but did not do the setting wet,
thinking the dry setting would be close enough.  I definitely well check
this and adjust it if necessary.  I also need to adjust the automatic
choke, it least the fast idle setting because the rpms are a bit on the
low side cold, resulting in stalling at traffic stops for the first 5
minutes or so.

In spite of the above, I'm still going to try to make it to Togo's

Roland