RE: British Cars Digest #594 Wed Sep 30 01:15:03 MDT 1992

To: "british-cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: British Cars Digest #594 Wed Sep 30 01:15:03 MDT 1992
From: "T_MULLEN" <TMULLEN@atlas.nafb.trw.com>
Date: 30 Sep 92 11:11:00 PST
Yesterday's digest had a description of changing oil on a Jag; and the
mess it caused because of the oil pouring out. On trick that I've
tried is to pound an awl (or an old phillips screwdriver) though the
bottom of the filter, and let the oil drain out into the pan. It may
take a while -- go and change the plugs, or adjust the brakes or
something -- but when it's done dripping out, there is almost no oil
left in it to spill.  If you really want to keep it clean, you can
then screw a sheet metal screw into the hole to seal it up while you
remove it.  By the way, I got the ideal for this from an old Toyota
that's canister type oil filter housing had a drain plug on the
bottom.  Ob brit car content: I use this trick on the Lotus :-)

Tim Mullen       tmullen@thor.nafb.trw.com