Re: Re: Eine kleine Nachtmusik

To: pwv@tc.fluke.COM
Subject: Re: Re: Eine kleine Nachtmusik
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 92 13:46:29 pdt
> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 92 10:28:39 PDT
> From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
> To: cobra@snakebyte.cdc.hp.com
> Subject: Re:  Eine kleine Nachtmusik
> Cc: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
>
> > during a quick lunch time search.  Anyone familiar with 2-barrel carbs
> > found on these engines circa 1965.
>
> The idle mixture adjust screws are at the base of the carb body on the
> front, one per barrel.  (I'm pretty sure that's right, but I've owned
> a GMC truck with a 2-barrel carb since I had the Ford some 20-(mumble...)
> years ago, so I may be confusing things.)  Simply frob each adjusting screw
> 'till you get the best idle.  Much simpler than adjusting SUs!  ;^)

Found them right were you said they'd be.  Seems to run best with both
of them screwed all the way in which doesn't sound right to me.

> > I rebuilt this carb a number of
> > years ago but only recall that it was pretty simple.  Maybe I have a
>
> Unless the engine is idling roughly, I would suspect the carb is probably
> due for another rebuild, given your description of your snake's (non) use
> these past few years.  The gaskets in those carbs tend to dry out and leak
> for some reason when the engine is not run regularly.

Well it was idling a bit rough.  I cleaned and regapped the plugs,
replaced the points, condenser and rotor and now it idles reasonably
well.  Didn't have time to check the timing.

I suspect you right about needing a rebuild.  The reason I rebuilt it in
the first place was because the top of the intake manifold always had
pools of gasoline on it, which was a bit unnerving.  It doesn't do that
now but the car did sit for a couple of years without being run.

Roland