prince of deafness: cassette player static

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: prince of deafness: cassette player static
From: lydia@rosa.mit.edu (Lydia Gregoret)
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 92 08:27:24 -0400
Hi All,
I don't know if this is proper LBC question or not, but here is our
problem:  We hear lots of static pops and crackles from our cassette
player when our car is *running*.  When the car is turned off, we hear
no static.  It also seems that the popping intensifies the longer we
drive as if there is some sort of charge buildup (i.e. it's not bad for
the first few blocks).  When the player is rewinding, there is no
static.  I can't tell you what happens when the cassette player is off
but the radio is on because this is a Radio Shack cassette-player-only
pullout stereo.

The car in question is a '66 MGB with negative ground (OK,
earth for you purists) and a _generator_.  We just got new Blaupunkt
(which I am dissapointed to find out, means nothing fancier than "blue
point") speakers and we don't want to destroy them.

So far, on the advice of a space robot engineer (my brother-in-law),
we have tried dragging a coathanger attached to the frame of the
car.  This did not work.  Any other ideas out there are welcome.

Lydia Gregoret
lydia@rosa.mit.edu