Re: Understeer/Tire Inflation

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, spidell@hpcc01.corp.hp.com
Subject: Re: Understeer/Tire Inflation
From: william sadler <wsadler@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1992 08:24:22 -0500
You might think that more air in the rear tires would help, but I think that
the opposite might be true.  First of all, there should be a sticker
on the inside of the door well stating the correct tire pressure
for radial tires of a certain diameter.  Usually this pressure is
lower than the recommended pressure on the tire itself.  I have always
used the pressure that is printed on the car and in the manual, and
not the pressure on the tire.

The MGC has the same problem-- large engine puts a lot of the car's
weight forward of the centerpoint of the car.  Actually, this is about
a 60/40 ratio whereas the MGB is supposedly about 50/50.  But, this
problem results in oversteer, not understeer (at least according
to reviews of the MGC when it came out.)

To solve this problem in 1969 they changed the recommended front tire
pressure from 32lbs to 34lbs.  The rear stayed at 32.  MGC enthusiasts
recommend 36lbs in the front tires and 32 rear.  The extra air in the
front helps to balance the car better.

So, I don't know if this applies to your Healey or not, but you might
check your manual to see what the recommended tire pressure is.

Will