Re: stripping frames, bodies

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: stripping frames, bodies
From: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1992 15:50:47 CDT
pwcs.stpaul.gov!phile@plains (Philip J Ethier) writes:
> On another note, the dip-and-strip place here is highly recommended by the
> Porsche guys.  Apparently there are only three places in the USA that use this
> method, and one of them is ten miles from my house!  This is some kind of
> reverse-plating advertised not to warp, embrittle, or eat away your remaining
> steel, whilst removing every speck of rust.  They have two tanks, each big
> enough to take a whole car body and more.

This sounds like the sort of process I saw illustrated in recent issues of
"Cars & Parts" during their restoration of a '57 Chevy convertible (btw, am
I the only one on this list who reads this magazine?). It is indeed very
impressive how the rust basically dissolves out, though in some areas it
leaves you with a delicate lacework of (barely) surviving steel panel that
you'd better do something about right quick. Anyway, I highly recommend
this magazine for the articles they're publishing as the restoration pro-
gresses, and back-issues are available. I think they'll probably reissue
the whole series in hardcover when the car is completed, too.

-- Andy