re: recent trip to Smoky Mtns

To: tj@alpine.b17a.ingr.com
Subject: re: recent trip to Smoky Mtns
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 31 Jul 1992 13:41 EDT
>> William Clay Ford also has an interest in classic cars and he's looking to
>> buy a 1960s Jaguar XJS roadster or a 1960s Aston Martin DB4 or DB5, which is
>> the Aston model used in the 1960s James Bond movies. Ford owns Aston Martin
>> and Jaguar.
>
>Quite a coincidence that the above message arrived while I was typing
>in the following:
>
>Took the family on a short vacation (4 days) to the Smoky Mountains
>the weekend of July 17.  Talk about some winding roads!  Even though
>we were in the family car (Mazda 929), loaded to the hilt, it was
>great fun tossing around the hills, even though the speeds never got
>much above 25 mph.
>
>There's a very nice car museum in Pigeon Forge, TN, (home of
>Dollywood, Dolly Parton's amusement park!) that I like to visit.
>Only one British car, though:  the customized Aston-Martin DB5 used
>in two James Bond movies.  I purchased a postcard containing 3 shots
>of this car and have scanned it in.  I'll post another message once it
>is converted to GIF and put on hoosier.  The propaganda on the
>postcard states:
>
>"James Bond Secret Agent 007 Customized Aston-Martin DB-5
>
>This car was used in the movies 'Goldfinger' and 'Thunderball.'  Has:
>Opening Roof & Ejector Seat, Bullet Shield, Telescopic Over-Riders,
>Retractable Machine Guns, Revolving Number Plates, Tire Cutters, Radar
>Scanner & Screen, Telephone."
>T.J. Higgins | higgins@ingr.com | Intergraph Mapping Sciences | Huntsville, AL

I visited that museum about 10 years ago.  It was a very nice,
reasonable entry fee, museum.  The Bond DB-5 there is actually
one of several (4 I think) that were used in the making of and
publicity for the movies.  As to driving the smokies, we were
there Sunday and Monday (7/19-7/20) in Maggee Valley and
Cherokee.  Had a ball in our TR-3A as even the road (Route 19)
between Maggee Valley and Cherokee is very loaded with sharp
turns and switchbacks.

After leaving Cherokee on Monday we continued on US 19 all
the way to Roswell, GA.  There are additional great two lane
sections that soouth of Cherokee and another just after
you get into GA.  Never thought any part of GA had the
elevations and driving roads that 19 was for at least 15 miles
after crossing into GA.

Standard Disclaimer- Any opinions, etc. are mine and NOT my employer's.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com