Re: MGB Crank pulley

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, DODD@ETD2.EL.WPAFB.AF.MIL,
Subject: Re: MGB Crank pulley
From: pacdata!dave@UCSD.EDU (Dave Ambrose)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 92 13:46:59 PDT

> Thanks to Andy Green, I think I have isolated my MGB's running problems
> to an old worn timing chain.  I am in the midst of replacing it, but I
> don't have a socket big enough for the crank pulley bolt.  So if any of
> you know what size socket I need, I'd appreciate if you could tell me and
> save me three trips to Sears.  This is a '69 engine.

        As I remember,  it's a 1-5/16 socket.  They are expensive and usually
require a 3/4 drive.  When I faced this problem,  I went to Habor freight
and bought a whole 3/4 drive set with the socket for less than the cost of the
socket and adapter elsewhere.  Now I use the ratchet on the crank whenever I
need to turn the engine.

> Also, will I be able to get the pulley out without moving the steering rack?
> Bentley's says to move it, Haynes doesn't say. The car is a chrome bumper
> '74 if that matters.

        You can certainly get the socket on the bolt.  Actually getting it off
will probably require unfastening the front motor mounts and jacking up the
engine.  The pulley itself is pretty deep and needs to come a long way
forward before it disengages from the crankshaft.

        Miscellania:  Replace the pulley's seal and the cam chain tensioner.
There is a keeper on the pulley bolt that must be flattened before removal.
Also,  if the chain is worn,  inspect the chainwheels and make sure they're OK.
The worn chain may have trashed them too.

        Good Luck,
        Dave Ambrose