Re: MGB noise

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: MGB noise
From: djd@aurora.arc.nasa.gov (Daniel J. Dasaro)
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 92 14:14:13 -0700
Scott writes:

>Nelson reminds us of his worn out 200k-mile MGB-GT:

>    I had a valve job done on the head about 18 months ago, where all the
>    guides and seal were replaced. The head now shows wear in the Intake
>    valve guides. According to the machine shop it is due to an over rich
>    mixture.  He said it is quite common on cars with SU's.  True or False?

>Hey, Danny, do HIF SU carbs ever get accused of running rich and spoiling
>valves?  (Sigh...)

Sure do!  Actually my engine was diagnosed as having either valve or
ring problems which caused it to burn oil.  They said 4 or 5 hundred
bucks should fix it.  In reality, the rich-running carb. was washing
the cylinders down and preventing the new rings from seating.  The two
problems with the carbs were: wrong float in the front carb (yes, there
are 2 types of floats) and a bad seal which caused the choke mechanism
to be "on" all the time (richer mixture).  The engine ran fine after
they were fixed.

BUT -- the problem is back!  I changed my oil recently and since then
the engine has been consuming oil like a 2-stroke!  Unfortunately I
didn't drive the car just before the oil change so I don't know if the
problem really started after the change or not.  I was worried that I
overfilled the sump but I don't think that's the case because I'm not
dripping oil as if a seal was broken.  I think I might just have to send
the carbs out for a professional rebuild (aaargh).

Any other potential causes?  I should adjust the valves and retorque the
cylinder head at this point in the engine's life, any chance of that
helping?

-Dan "destined to never drive this car" Dasaro