Re: Spark Plugs revisited

To: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CC, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Spark Plugs revisited
From: rbt%dracut@keps.kodak.com (Bob Tufts)
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 92 12:46:26 EDT
About cleaning plugs: I've usually gotten tolerable cleaning results using
carb cleaner and a wire brush. Doesn't do a mint job, but most of the deposits
get cleaned away for a few minutes work. I usually put an ohm meter on the
highest range (many Meg-ohms) across them if there is any chance of a carbon
track on the insulator. (had this happen once, but you'd know it real quick as
a plug with even a few hundred K ohms acts like a virtual short and the car
stumbles accordingly!). As for cleaning via blaster. I have a sand blaster,
but the sand can get wedged down between the insulator and the metal shell.
I'd want to pick out any fine grit lodged in there before I'd put 'em in
an engine I care about. Also, I'm not sure if the ceramic could fatigue or
crack if you're not careful... don't know.

-Bob T.