Spark Plugs revisited

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spark Plugs revisited
From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 92 08:31:49 EDT
|Date: 7-15-92  8:31am
|From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
|  To: {british-cars@autox.team.net}:INTERNET
|Subj: Spark Plugs revisited
>An observation I forgot to post earlier. When I removed the Bosch
Platinum
>plugs I had in my car I found the gap had narrowed from 35 to 30 thou!
>All my previous plug experience has shown the gap will increase with
>wear.

    I tried Bosch Platinums in my TR6 and my Alfa.  The TR6 didn't run
very well so I went back to Champions, then it ran great again.  With
the Alfa, I was having a problem of running rich so I was checking the
plugs pretty frequently.  Well one check showed that the gap had
completely closed on one of the plugs.  That really scared me.  It must
have been pretty darn hot inside of that cylinder.  They fouled pretty
easily too.  I'll never spend the extra money for those again.  Now I
use Lodge plugs which are a surface gap, no more gaps to check!!   I
keep meaning to look for these for my midget, but I always forget, plus
they're pretty hard to find.  I don't think they could foul either.

    Dean