Re: Motorway Speed Limits

To: british-cars%hoosier.utah.edu@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: Motorway Speed Limits
From: archer@hsi86.hsi.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 92 12:12:19 -0400
acg@hermes.dlogics.com (Andrew C. Green) writes:
> Someone from the U.K. may jump in to correct me, but I believe the speed
> limit on motorways is 70 mph... meaning that everyone is doing 80, as you
> discovered, and the speeders are doing 90-100.

'Aven't bin 'ome in 4 years but I believe its still 70 mph, which few
seem to adhere to.  Last time I was back, driving a rented Ford Sierra
Sapphire, I managed to get upto 110 mph for a short stretch.  On a
previous visit in a rented Ford Fiesta we "cruised" down to Exeter from
the Midlands at an average of 90 mph.  When we had to slow down to 55 mph
because of some road works it felt like we were crawling.  At the time
I remarked to my wife, "And _this_ is the speed limit in America!", we
were so climatised to _real_ motorway speeds :-)  BTW:  I'm not sure
what the top speed of a Ford Fiesta was, but at 90 mph, there wasn't
much left to go over it!

> > Oh, yes: I never saw a cop on the motorway.
>
> Too bad, they have very impressive pursuit cars! I remember when they had
> huge Rover V-8s, possibly with turbos, and were painted white with huge
> flourescent-orange stripes along the side.

Ah!  The "Jam Butty Wagons".  Another Brit->Yank translation:  Jam Butty
is Jelly and Butter Sandwich (yeah, I know, Peanut Butter & Jelly is the
preferred delicacy).  British motorway police cars look like Jam Butties
edge-on (white bread of course).  The stripes are fluorescent yellow and
orange.

The police used to have Rover 3500's and Jaguar XJS's (yes, impressive!)
Wonder what they have now?

Speaking of British police cars... remember Panda Cars?  They were the
town and village patrol cars.  Light blue front and back with a white
midsection.  They used to have Morris Minors and Minis.  Do the police
still use Panda Cars and what do they use now?

Garry Archer Esq.       archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert