Re: english<-> american

To: william sadler <wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu>
Subject: Re: english<-> american
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1992 10:59:40 PDT
        "Drift the spider across the yoke"  (I'm not making this
        up).  As near as I can tell a drift is a hammer, and a spider
        is a punch.  A yoke seems to be a U-joint, or part of a U-joint.

Off by one. A drift is a punch, a spider is a U joint, and a yoke is a yoke
(1g):

1yoke \'yo^-k\ n,  pl yokes
[ME yok, fr. OE geoc; akin to OHG joh yoke, L jugum, Gk zygon,
     Skt yuga, L jungere to join]
(bef. 12c)
1a: a wooden bar or frame by which two draft animals (as oxen) are
     joined at the heads or necks for working together
1b: an arched device formerly laid on the neck of a defeated person
1c: a frame fitted to a person's shoulders to carry a load in two equal
     portions
1d: a bar by which the end of the tongue of a wagon or carriage is
     suspended from the collars of the harness
1e (1): a crosspiece on the head of a boat's rudder
1e (2): an airplane lever operating the elevators and the ailerons
1f: a frame from which a bell is hung
1g: a clamp or similar piece that embraces two parts to hold or unite
     them in position
2 pl usu yoke: two animals yoked or worked together

(You're lucky, it could also have been called a trunnion!) So, you're
supposed to use a punch to drive the U joint into place in the yoke of
the drive shaft.