Allison ignition installation for TR6

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Allison ignition installation for TR6
From: ian@Centric.COM (Ian Macky)
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 92 11:37:47 PDT
All,

My TR6, when I first got it, had the THREE WORST electrical installations
I had ever seen, all the on the same car!

    1.  Electric windows!!  Yikes!!  Not only that, it was a 4-window
        kit, and the extra TWENTY feet of unused cables plus the two
        unused switches were just kinda stuffed under the (bumpy) carpet...

    2.  An electric pusher fan which had a good ten wires of which half
        were just flopping around in the air, unconnected to anything,
        just waiting to get wrapped-around/sucked-into something...

    3.  The Allison kit, installed as far as possibile from the coil,
        that is on the far right side of the engine compartment, on the
        plane above the washer bottle.  The resistor was screwed where
        the flasher unit was; the flasher was left to dangle in the air
        by its wires...

All the extra electrical stuff, radio, windows, etc, were all soldered onto
the ignition switch...   there was something like EIGHT wires coming off
ONE terminal on the switch... just this big flakey blob of solder and
grungy old wire.  VERY unreliable.  Every time I drove it somewhere, it
stayed there!  Fortunately this was around last December and I got lots
of Merry Christmas Pushes (thanks, stranger).

Anyway, regarding the Allision kit:

        There is a flat spot on the left inner fender well EXACTLY the
        same size as the Allison unit.  It's immediately opposite the
        coil and couldn't possibly have been designed better.  That's
        where I moved mine too.

Look for that flat spot on your TR6 if you are installing one of these kits.

--ian