pulling a midget engine...

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: pulling a midget engine...
From: "Mmmmmm, doughnuts! 09-Jul-1992 1127" <metzger@decwet.ENET.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 92 11:27:12 PDT
thanks for all the hints in pulling the engine. I rented a hoist and pulled the
thing by myself yesterday. It came out without a hitch minus the tranny.

I pulled the radiator, alternator, starter and removed the exhaust. The
bellhousing bolts were actually pretty accessable. Put a jack stand under the
tranny, cranked up the hoist...ooopss gotta remove the engine mounts and she
slid right up and off.

Thanks for the advice about checking the clutch..it was just starting to wear
into the rivets so I ordered a new throw out bearing and clutch and then got to
work on pulling the rear plate. I think I found the oil leak around the pump so
I put a new gasket in bolted it back together. I'll have to rerent the hoist
this weekend after the clutch parts get here....

Since I caught the clutch before it put any grooves into the clutch plate do I
need to get it resurfaced?

It looks like it will be harder to get back together than it was to take it
apart though...It should be a lot of fun trying to line up the input shaft with
the clutch housing....

John Metzger
metzger@decwet.dec.com