Grub Screws (was British/American terms)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Grub Screws (was British/American terms)
From: thos@softway.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen)
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 92 09:51:49 est
Dan Parslow said :

>On the subject of British/'Mercan translations, the Haynes
>manuals for Triumphs have a pretty thorough translation table for
>English/Yank automotive terms. Takes up most of a page.  How many
>of us Yanks knew that a "grub screw" is an (allen) set screw?

Isn't a grub screw a screw with no head, ie. where the threading
runs all the way up the body of the screw?

(a few of my own)
Brit            US
Number plate    License plate
Sill            Rocker panel

What's the American term for 'drift', as in 'Brass Drift' - sort
of like a large-faced punch?

On the Mini Front, I've got the Cooper registered (hooray!), and am
now working on the Clubman. It's a never-ending cycle.

thos cohen                                     |Softway Pty Ltd
"Why has the driver's side got only one door?" |ACSnet:         thos@softway.oz
"Well sir, The Monaro is a two door sports car"|UUCP: ...!uunet!softway.oz!thos
"Why does the passenger have two doors then?"  |Internet:    thos@softway.oz.au
regards,