re: 8/Top replacement

To: jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: re: 8/Top replacement
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 6 Jul 1992 12:39 EDT
>So far, no one has sent me any pointers on fixing tops.  I WILL (tonight)
>post a "fixed" ROM procedure for removing the top from the car.  It's
>pretty easy (after you've done it once).  As for webbing, it looks
>very straightforward (only riveting needed).  However, extracting
>the webbing from the header rail up front looks ugly.  My friend Tom
>Bishop just replaced his top (by himself) so I'm going to see if I
>can get him to write an article on it.  I'm also hoping he can
>tell me more about the webbing business...
>
>Meanwhile, I'm taking my top in at lunch today and having them fix the
>zipper!  I couldn't believe it.  The top (frame and all) fit nicely
>in the trunk of the Taurus!

My viewpoint is to "farm out" top repair/replacement/etc.  I personally
find it very tedious and unrewarding work that has a much greater
risk of screwing up and leading to more expense than I care to
take on myself.  My son had new windows sewn in his TR-7 top
recently and the entire deal cost him $150.  That included
whatever work the shop did to remove the top to do the actual
work.

Cheers,
Standard Disclaimer- Any opinions, etc. are mine and NOT my employer's.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com