Re: Sharp Splines (was Brake caliper)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: Re: Sharp Splines (was Brake caliper)
From: Bob Spidell <spidell@hpcc01.corp.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 92 13:58:28 PDT
Scott Fisher writes:

>Hmmm.  Sharp splines are what you want, nice sharp Vs.  You have to
>worry when they start to lay over on their sides, or when the tops
>get worn down into something kind of like a square-wave pattern
>(there, see, I *do* know how to talk like an electrogeek! :-)

Got to disagree here.  The splines on new hubs are flattened on the top:
                         _
(sort of like this)     / \

Due to the torsion from accelerating, decelerating and braking the sides
of the splines wear "inward," causing worn splines to have a profile like:

                       /\

Eventually, if you don't tend to these, you will someday attempt to
accelerate (rear hub) or brake (front hub) and the remaining splines
will be stripped off the hub, and you may lose the wheel.

Best to replace your hubs before they wear to a sharp point, or you'll
be replacing your wheels (or at least the center part, what's that
called?) AND your hubs.

Regards,
bs