Caterham and other Super Sevens

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Caterham and other Super Sevens
From: Michael Sands <sands@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 92 13:01:12 -0700
I was going to respond in private but several proddings about what
it would be like and what should you expect when owning a Super Seven.

Scott Fisher, frequent contributor here, is the one responsible for my
currenly owning a Seven.  I alternately curse and praise him depending
on my and my car's mood.  I really should leave it to him to explain.

I also wish I had saved his original response...it must have contained
a magic incantation that caused me to do a strange thing.

Enough of the blame.  The Seven must be considered a toy.  Never, ever,
consider it for daily transportation.  There are many reasons for this,
one of the least being reliability.  This is a small car, a street legal
race car, an absolute blast to drive machine.

Some impressions.  The car weighs 1200 lbs, with me sitting in it!  It
corners at a measured 1.25 gees with A008's and a couple of suspension mods.
You can reach down and touch the ground with out leaning out of the car.
You must be Chapman's exact size to fit in the car.  If you are wide, tall,
or have long legs, reconsider.  There is a long cockpit version but it
has seats with backs and this takes most of the extra room.  There is
nothing on the road that can beat it under 70 mph.  Above 70 the wind
noise is so loud you cannot hear anything and the wind is so strong,
your face gets distorted like a horror show creature.

I would be glad to discuss issues of purchase, price, smog trials and
tribulations, and models with those that are interested in buying one.

And small kids love them.  I have a one year old that recently learned
how to walk.  Leave the garage door open and he is out there in a flash.

He makes a mad dash for the tool box, grabs the keys to the boat that
are stored therein, heads for the Seven parked inocently.  He climbs
into the drive seat, using the muffler, er silencer, as a step and proceeds
to turn on the emergency flashers, frob the head lights, and attempts
to put the keys in the ignition.  Then he sits there and makes his best
imitation of vroom-vroom noises and shakes the steering wheel and shifter.

Great!

Michael