Ordering Parts from the UK

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Ordering Parts from the UK
From: rbt%dracut@keps.kodak.com (Bob Tufts)
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 92 11:02:52 EDT
I usually will support my local(stateside) parts sources, but something really
bothers me when they don't have the part in stock and will have to order it
(4-6 weeks delivery time) and they charge as if it's been accumulating dust
(inventory overhead) for years. An example follows: I recently had to order
a guage panel for my Esprit. It's a real cheap vaccum-formed affair (prone to
crack if your not careful) and I called RD Enterprises first, as I usually do
pretty good by Ray. Nope, he didn't have one but could get one in 4-6 weeks
for only $66. Next, I tried Sports Car World in TX and got the same story
except the cost would be $86! This prompted me to fax a Lotus dealer in the
UK (Kelvedon Motors). Their price was 20 pounds, 33p. (@$1.85 exchange this
worked out to be around $38.) The minimum shipment by air was 7 pounds, 50p
(~$14) for the first kg (I think). So total would be under $52 (and this is
by air!)

I ended up buying a few other parts (far cheaper also) and still was way
within the weight limit for the $14 air ship fee. Lotus shipped the parts
to Kelvedon in 1 week, and it took 1 additional week by air mail (wonder
where it goes during the week?). Anyways, sure beats 4-6 weeks by boat!

Like I said before, If Ray(or someone else) had the part on the shelf, I would
expect to pay a premium for stocking it, but when it comes to having to place
an order to England- I can do that very well myself thankyou!

I'm not sure if the US Lotus parts dealers can order direct from Lotus
(further discount) or they must purchase through a dealer (like Kelvedon).
If the latter is true, this might rationalize some of the markup.

Anyways, in some cases (particularly with light parts) you can get your parts
far cheaper and sooner by eliminating the middle man when he doesn't stock
the part. Your mileage may vary!

-Bob T.