Re: British Cars Digest #488 Mon Jun 15 17:35:23 MDT 1992

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #488 Mon Jun 15 17:35:23 MDT 1992
From: thos@softway.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 92 10:14:58 EST
> Over the summer ... When I have a little time, I plan to re-build my 1400 Mini
> engine.  The engine will get a compleat overhaul, ie re-bore (burning a
> crazzzy amount of oil).

Ummm, it get's kind of difficult to overbore a 1400.
Lessee, a 1380 has a 73.5mm bore, a 1400 has a 74.0 mm bore, and
a 1435 has a 74.7 mm bore.

The problem with the last two bore sizes is that it leaves the
bore castings too thin, and they flex. 74mm bores are OK with
new rings etc. but 74.7mm is really too big for any period of
time. Also, while A+ blocks can handle these bores OK, ordinary
A series blocks tended to be thinner where it counted.

I would caution against reboring (besides, The only pistons available
for 74.7 are the pistons out of the 2500 Triumph six, and to use
them you'll need to mill a large lump off the top of the block
(which can also lead to head gasket problems) or get a long stroke
crank (for many $$), which will make the engine enormous, but only
exacerbate your ring problems.

You may find, after checking the bores, that you can get by with a
new set of rings, which would be much cheaper.

As to your original question, Slick-50 has been the subject of many
a flame war, and at this moment, the jury's still out. So, if you
feel happy with it, use it. (I personally don't bother, but my current
road mini burns about as much as yours by the sound of it, and it
seems silly to put some oil-treatment in, only to blow it out over
the following traffic.

regards,

thos cohen (owner of too many minis)           |Softway Pty Ltd
"I was doing 160mph at Charlotte when the wheel|ACSnet:         thos@softway.oz
came off in my hand"   "What did you think?"   |UUCP: ...!uunet!softway.oz!thos
"It certainly got my f**king attention" -Gricey|Internet:    thos@softway.oz.au