Re: Help with 2 Spitfires for $1500

To: clane@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Re: Help with 2 Spitfires for $1500
From: spit@neuro.duke.edu (Village Idiot)
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 92 09:29:11 EST
   >    I have come across 2 Spitfires (a 66 and a 67) for $1500 dollars.
   >  I need to know if this is a good price for the 2 (both for $1500), and if
so
   > why and if not why?
   >    SOME DETAILS...........:
   >    -one has a restored engine with 10,000 miles on it
   >    -one has a hardtop, tannaeu cover, and soft top (?) (the other has
   >                    just the soft top...or is this the tanneau cover?)
   >    -one has 4 "REAL" wire wheels

If they both run, this is an ok price.  If the "rebuilt" engine is well done,
then this is probably a good price.  The hard top is a bonus as they are fairly
hard to find.  They are also hard to get pieces for, especially the rear glass
and its seal.  If these are broken and/or shot, it will be hard (expensive)
to make it right.  The wires are also a bonus if they are not worn.  There
have been good articles posted on this list about wires which you should read
if you have questions about wires.

   > I have only seen one and not very closely, and the other I have not seen, I
   > am going to try to schedule to see them one day this week.  the one I saw
has
   > some rust, I spoke to the seller and he said the frame on the other "has no
   > rust on it" and the body is in better condition.  ANOTHER question is are

Most rust is relatively easy to fix on these cars.  Typical places for rust
include the floor pans (especially the passenger footwell), battery box, sills
(both inner and outer), rear valence and bottom of rear fenders in front of
the wheel wells.  If the floors are badly rusted, it is possible that rust has
reached the trailing arm attachment points on the rear deck.  I would avoid a
car that is this far gone.

   > these 2 cars interchangeable?????? ARE THEY WORTH THE MONEY (as far as U
can
   > tell by not seeing them), and what should I look for when I see them!!!!!!

I think that one is a Mk.II and one a Mk.III.   They will have some parts in
common but not all.  A major difference is in the engine.  The earlier car
has an 1147cc and the later a 1296cc engine.  Exhaust systems are different.
Bumpers are different.  There are more differences but you get the picture.
The frame and body are the same, I think.

If I were looking at them, I would look first for rust, second for major
body and frame damage, third at mechanicals, last at trim.  If the car needs
more than a paint job and some sprucing up in the interior, be prepared to
spend more than the car is worth.  Having said that, I have just spent more
than my Spitfire is worth and I would do it again.  I've spent the last
year working on it and it has been great fun.  It is even more fun driving
it!

Good luck,

=>mdb