Really cheap paint job

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Really cheap paint job
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@hpcdcsn.cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 91 11:35:12 pst
Painting cars with a bush was last weeks topic, I guess, but I was gone
last week and didn't see any of the postings on the subject until this
morning.  It reminded me of the Model A my dad painted with a brush
once.  Kelly green and it wasn't meant as a joke.  But it also reminded
me of something I read in a book I checked out of the library a year or
so ago.  In the early days, before spay painting, that's how automobile
manufacturer painted cars.  It was a carry over from horse drawn coach
days, I suppose.  Body paint was applied with a special fine bristle brush
and then rubbed to a smooth finish by hand.  Apparently this was done
with multiple coats and rubbings.  If I remember correctly, this method
of painting cars was continued in England long after it was discontinued
in the US and was even considered to be a superior method by luxury car
builders there.  So, you really don't need expensive and sophisticated
spray equipment, or even a paint booth.  This method requires a lot of
paint too.

Roland