GT6/Spitfire conversion

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: GT6/Spitfire conversion
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 91 15:06:06 -0500

        The frame in my spitfire is bent and I'm considering a change to a GT6
frame.  I know some people mentioned it when we were talking about engine swaps.
Has anyone done this?  From what I understand it is a very easy conversion.
I guess I should try to get a mark II (a GT6+) as it has the superior rear
suspension.
How about parts?  Do you GT6 owners have horror stories about parts that are
not
availible?  What should I look for on the engine/trans/frame?
        Would anybody who would like a 'new' body for their GT6 consider going
in on
one together?  All I really want is the bottom half.
        Would anybody be interested in the bottom half of my Spitfire?  The
frame is
not bent that much, it just won't let the hood and body line up very well.  I'm
sure
a unibody straightner could put it right.  It came from New Mexico and has no
rust.
        Does the hood have to be changed?  The GT6 has a raised portion in the
hood,
but it looks like it is more for styling, not engine clearance.
        Did the GT6 come with an overdrive transmission?
        Was the handling of the GT6+ the same, better, or worse than the spit?
guy around here says there was really no copmparison, the GT6+ was vastly
superior.
Thanks in advance

Woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu