more paint stuff...

Subject: more paint stuff...
From: "Darrell Walker" <walker@hprpcd.rose.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 91 8:07:41 PST
As I am in the midst of having my car painted, I will add my
two pence...

I am doing the priming/prep work on my car, and contracting out
the welding and color coat.  I stripped my car to bare metal,
some of it with chemicals and some by plastic media blasting.

After the metal is clean, I wiped it with DuPont's Kwik-Prep,
which is an alchol-based stabilizer, then I sprayed VariPrime,
which is an catalyzed-enamel based, acid-bearing primer.  On
top of the variprime, I applied UroPrime, which is an enamel-
based primer-filler.  This is also catalyzed, and can be wet-sanded
after 2 hours of curing.

The UroPrime is a light cream/tan color.  After you think it is smooth,
spray a light coat of black laquer-based primer (a spray can is fine),
then block-sand again.  Any high/low spots will really jump out at you.

After this, I am having a urethane basecoat/clear coat applied.
I belive the basecoat is made by Glasruit, and the clear is Imron.
I have already had the body tub color coated, and it looks great.

You may have to look around a bit to find a shop that will work with
you.  The shop owner has been very helpful in giving me tips and advice.

--
   Darrell Walker                 walker@hprpcd.hp.com
   (916) 785-4059                 HPDesk: walker (hprpcd) /HP5200/UX